For the first days following my surgery to remove the cancer, I obsessed over a mental image of my cancer sitting in a petri dish somewhere, powerless. The idea made me think of the ways that my body had been supporting those cancer cells, feeding them. I turned to the internet for answers. I scoured medical journals, blogs by people whose cancer had been cured by traditional medicine, naturopaths rebuking traditional medicine, and stories of spontaneous, natural healing through diet and alternative treatments. This is enough to make anyone crazy. Being told I have cancer was one of the most frightening events of my life. The realization that I had the responsibility to make independent decisions that would direct my treatment and determine my outcome was beyond frightening.
One thing that stood out to me was the power that nutrition has to support or restrict cancer. Growing up in the 70’s, we consumed some serious crap. Even in my house, where my mom shopped at the Co-op and crammed buckwheat into anything that may otherwise taste halfway decent, the crap food permeated our pyramid. Spam. Red dye #3. Refined sugar. Kool-aid. Bleached flour. Pesticides and more pesticides. Jello. GMO’s. Cancer causing crap was everywhere around us – water, nuclear power plants, toxic dirt, the backseat of the station wagon our parents hot boxed us in as they sucked down Pall Mall’s with the window cracked a half inch.
When they tell you it’s cancer you think of all this stuff. The jello and cigarettes and asbestos filled classrooms. Of course, the past doesn’t matter at this point but the present is everything. There is SO SO SO much you can do to get healthier. I did a ton of stuff. Here’s what…
- Throw away your refined sugar. Replace with xylitol, coconut sugar, date sugar, fruit juice, raw honey, molasses, brown rice sugar or barley malt syrup. It tastes natural and good and it won’t slowly kill you like refined sugar will. Seriously, sugar sucks.
- Throw away your crappy bleached flour. Replace it with whole wheat flour, spelt flour, brown rice flour, coconut flour, soy flour, millet flour, amaranth flour, arrowroot flour, teft flour, almond flour, oat flour…you get the point. Whit flour sucks, too.
- Eliminate processed foods.
- Eat way, way, way more raw foods.
- Buy organic. I know there are people who disclaim the benefits and say organic is a scam. Whatever. Pesticides suck. I’d rather eat something that got a little pesticide through inadvertently contaminated soil than something that doesn’t even pretend to be organic. The FDA has a way to go with these regs but it’s getting better. Wash everything really well.
- Read the ingredients. If they sound sketchy, they’re probably going to slowly kill you.
- Are you still drinking soda? Get over it. The Devil Incarbonate.
- Smoking? Ew. You know what to do here.
- Fat is a breeding ground for cancer. Get less fat by any means necessary. Eating and not eating the above list will have an amazing effect on eliminating fat. Exercise will exacerbate the process nicely. Get on it.
- Stop using chemicals in your house and in your yard. Throw them away and go natural. Why wouldn’t you?
- Buy a Vitamix and a Dehydrator and use them.
- Read Paul Nison’s “Raw Food Formula for Health.” Raw food makes you healthier and makes you feel better.
- Question chemo. That’s all I gotta say about that.
I did a bunch of this stuff. I started right away and was really diligent as I awaited all my test results to find out if chemo was going to be recommended. I will never know if I would have chosen chemo or not but I was definitely prepared to defend myself against it.
Yeah, it’s a lot. And, yeah, it’s easy for me to sit here and type out a list of things for other people to do. It comes down to this – why wouldn’t you? Why wouldn’t you want to feel better, look better, and be stronger and healthier? You are probably eating poison on a daily basis. You are feeding cancer cells with the crap in your cupboard, your fridge, your drive-thru’s. You are avoiding exercise that could help save your life. You want to wear a pink ribbon or do you want to actually affect a positive outcome practicing proven methodology that reduces cancer death probability? Seriously. Throw shit away and start being healthy.
LOVE PEACE GRATITUDE 4LIFE